Happy New Year!With the hustle and bustle of the holidays over, we all have a chance to reclaim a small amount of our sanity...or so we'd like to believe. Being a mother makes the term 'sane' completely relative to the stage our children have entered. When my children were newborns sanity was equivalent to the amount of sleep I had the night before. Today, with active 3 and 4 year olds, my mental state is driven by my children's cooperation and believe it or not their eating habits.
Daily I battle with picky eating and whether or not my kids are getting all the food they need to stay healthy. I've tried to resign myself to the age old saying that if they're hungry, they'll eat, but it doesn't seem to make me feel any better about what's going into or not going into them.
With the holidays, sweets were the primary food group in my house, so now moving into a new year, I've resolved to make sure my kids eat well!
I just bought Deceptively Delicious: Simple Secrets to Get Your Kids Eating Good Food and can't wait to try out the 'Cauliflower Brownies' on my unsuspecting angels!
I'd love for some of you to try out the recipes as well and let me know which ones are 'hits' with your kids!
Happy Healthy Eating!
Can't wait to see everyone this year!
Melissa
6 comments:
I have this cookbook! I have tried my own recipe and my girls love it... even now knowing that they are eating pumpkin in their brownies, they offer to make it on their own! We don't make normal brownies in our house any more.
I have wanted to try the chicken... maybe I will make it and let you know how it goes.
Penny's Pumpkin Brownies
Devil's Food Cake mix
1 small can of pure pumpkin
1 cup of chocolate chips
Mix the ingredients into a bowl. Mix until the pumpkin makes all the cake wet. Pour mixture into a greased cupcake pan. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until a tooth pick comes clean when inserted.
I even like to add nuts, but one of my girls do not like them so I leave them out most of the time.
Yum...I'm trying it!
A quick food fixer I learned from Heather...mix baby food butternut squash or carrots into microwavable mac 'n cheese, heat it up and serve! We tried it last night and the girls gobbled it up!
Yummy! I love pumpkin in anything. Gonna try that too. So do you follow the cake directions on the box? Eggs? Oil? Or do you substitute the pumpkin for those things?
You just use the pumpkin. My aunt gave me the idea and I experimented with it. You can make it without the chocolate chips, but I think they just add that extra something.
They do not come out like a cupcakes (nice a smooth)... my daughters wanted to know what was wrong with them... I waited until after they ate them to tell them.
My pickiest child ate them up!
They were a huge hit here! We all loved them!
Post a Comment